Preferences are a great way to segment contacts based on interests or the types of communication they want to receive - for example, 'Newsletters', 'Sales & Promotions' and 'System Emails' ...or by interest - for example, 'Cycling', 'Technology', 'Gardening' and 'Camping'.
Your contacts can easily update their preferences too, by using an Update Preferences form. It's also a great way to potentially retain a contact who is about to unsubscribe - by allowing them to alter their preferences instead of unsubscribing completely - and thus potentially receive less email from you.
Furthermore, you can easily edit contact Preferences in bulk (across multiple contacts) - hence this how-to guide.
This guide will take you through updating preferences against your existing contacts in bulk.
Explore our Preferences feature (including how to use the Update Preferences form), or learn more about applying Preferences when importing multiple lists into a single list.
- Select Contacts from the sidebar.
- Use the dropdowns to select the desired list.
- Highlight the contacts you'd like to adjust the preferences for. You can also run an Advanced Search before doing so, to look for contacts that match certain data.
- From the Actions dropdown, select Update preferences. Your various preferences will be shown.
- Tick the preferences that you'd like to apply to / remove from your chosen contacts. The various checkbox states are;
- Empty checkbox: The selected contacts do not / will not have this preference.
- Checked checkbox: The selected contacts do have / will have have this preference.
- Dashed checkbox: Some contacts currently have this preference & some do not. You can change this to a checked checkbox, or an empty checkbox, to make changes - as per above. If you leave this dashed, then nothing will be changed for that preference type for the selected contacts; some will still have it, and some will not have it.
- When done, click .
Preferences for the selected contacts will now be updated. You can now send to contacts by preference, if desired.