This video covers a number of topics from the various how-to guides below, including configuring your list preferences, setting up your Preferences form (from 0m51s), and sending to contacts who have list preferences set (from 1m54s).
Email preferences are a great way to allow your contacts to choose the types of emails they want to receive from you. For example: Newsletters, Events, Promotions.
It's also a great way to potentially retain a contact who is about to unsubscribe - by allowing them to alter their preferences instead of unsubscribing completely - and thus potentially receive less email from you.
In this guide, we'll explain how to configure the preferences that are available to your contacts, how to setup the preferences form, how to apply preferences to existing contacts and finally - how to send to contacts who have certain email preferences enabled.
This article contains a number of guides for various related topics. Click below to jump ahead to a particular guide.
- Configure Your List Preference Options
- Setup Your Preferences Form
- Set Some Preferences on Your Existing Contacts
- Send to Contacts With List Preferences
- Log into your account and click the cog icon at the top right.
- Select the List Preferences tab.
- By default, three preferences have been created for you already (Newsletters, Promotions, Events), but you can rename or remove these if you wish - as well as add new options to suit your needs. You can also re-order the preferences by clicking & dragging the gripper to the left of each one. Configure this area as required.
- Once finished, click .
Once you've configured your preferences as per the section above, now it's time to check setup or check your Preferences form. This is also covered in the video above, from 0m51s.
- Select Lists and Forms from the sidebar.
- Double-click on the relevant list, to go into forms view. All of the forms attached to your selected list are now shown.
- Select the Preferences tab to open your preferences form for editing.
- Ensure the Update Preferences sub-tab is selected, as shown.
- With your update preferences form now open for editing, you can redesign the form as required - such as adding a logo, changing the colours, adding additional text and so on.
Design & Customise the Appearance of a Form
- Once finished, click .
If you have multiple lists, you'll need to repeat this process for each of your lists.
If you've been using our system for a while but have only just started using List Preferences, you may wish to set preferences for your existing contacts.
- Select Contacts from the sidebar.
- Use the dropdowns at the top to select the list you'd like to work with.
- Select the contacts you'd like to edit preferences for - you can also select all contacts if required.
If you'd like to search for a specific set of contacts to apply preferences to, you can run an advanced search before proceeding to the next step. See: Advanced Search, or Contact Segmentation.
- From the Actions dropdown, select Update Preferences.
- Now choose the preferences you'd like to apply to the selected contacts.
- Click .
Once you have contacts with preferences set against their records, you can start sending your different types of emails contacts who wish to receive that type of communication. This is also covered in the video above, from 1m54s.
Before you start sending emails to your contacts using your new Preferences options, you may wish to edit your email footer to include a link to your 'Update Preferences' form link alongside the usual Unsubscribe link - that way, users can easily make changes to their email preferences at any time. You can set this by editing the message Footer Details.
- When sending an email and selecting the recipients of your send, choose the Advanced Selection option.
- Configure your search as follows, and click any of the preferences you'd like to include in this email send.
- Click . Now, when you send your email, it will be received by contacts who have any of those preferences set against their record.