Many email programs (think Microsoft Outlook, Gmail, Microsoft Hotmail, Yahoo, etc) employ their own standards for displaying email content - thus, the way an email displays in your email program may be different to how it displays in another program.
Although standards are getting better, there are still many inconsistencies between email programs (especially when it comes to mobile versions of your email). Some don't display background images, others won't animate a .GIF image (instead choosing to display the first frame only), others won't display rounded corners - and some remove colours from buttons.
The best way to see how your email performs in a variety of email clients is, of course, to test it in a variety of clients - but who has the time to install 5 different versions of Outlook, and create test email addresses for Hotmail, Gmail and Yahoo... that's where Litmus comes in.
While you can use our platform to send a test email to yourself, this only allows you to test its appearance in your own email program. Litmus allows you to test your email in many email clients - of different ages and version numbers, automatically ...including on different devices and with dark mode options.
Litmus is one of the world's most popular and comprehensive email testing services - and we have an integration with them, built right into our platform!
Litmus Inbox Previews are available for free on some of our plans, while other plans require the purchase of testing credits.
Litmus does not render Outlook hyperlinks correctly, though this won't be the case when you actually send your email. This is only an issue with Outlook links on the Litmus testing platform.
If you have any conditional content or wildcards in the email you're testing, you will need to select a single contact from a list to use for populating either of these. If you don't have any conditional content or wildcards in your email, you won't need to choose a contact.
- Select Messages from the sidebar.
- Click next to the email message you wish to test and select New inbox preview from the options.
- Select the email clients / device combinations you wish to test your email in, as well as any dark mode variants, if desired.
- Click to continue.
- If your email contained wildcards or conditional content, select the list that you'd like to use for these & enter some test data.
- Click to continue.
- The system will now begin rendering your Inbox previews. Please allow several minutes for the testing to complete. The more clients chosen, the longer the test will take.
- Once complete, your results are shown. You can click on each image to view the email in full, switch between them, and so on.
- When done, you can leave this area and navigate elsewhere. If you ever want to see the test results again, or re-run the test, simply come back to the Messages area, and click the Inbox Previews tab at the top to locate previous tests
Purchase Testing Credits
If you're on a plan which does not include unlimited inbox preview credits, you will need to purchase some before you can run a test.
- Open the Account area (⚙️ icon, at top right).
- Select Inbox Preview Credits from the sidebar.
- Complete the details on-screen to purchase testing credits.