We're often asked if you can use our email & SMS marketing platform with a 'freemail' email address, such as a Bigpond, Xtra, Gmail, Hotmail or Yahoo-style email address.
The short answer is 'sort of' - but there's a few reasons you may wish to use our platform with a proper / professional business domain name, such as www.[yourbusinessname].com.au;
- Many email servers around the world will reject bulk emails from domain names that are not verified or authenticated in the system you're using to send emails (ie. our system). However, only domain names (the bit after the @ sign) that you own & have access to can be verified. Because you don't own that freemail email address's sender domain, you can't verify it.
- Email deliverability can be hit-and-miss with freemail email addresses. In other words, not everyone will receive your email. Large companies or government departments will likely outright reject your email - for others, your email will end up in the spam or junk folder.
- A proper / professional domain name builds trust.
- A proper / professional domain name advertises your business - and not your freemail provider.
So in other words, while you can use our system to send from a freemail email address, deliverability can be a little hit and miss. As such, we recommend contacting a domain name provider and getting them to register a domain name for your business or group, then setting up an email address at that domain.
You can then add and verify that domain in our platform and deliverability will most likely improve.
- Emails Going to Spam? Set up Your Domain Records
- Improving Your Open Rates
- Email Was Not Received / Email Was Delayed / Test Email Not Coming Through