Sometimes you know the perfect subject line, maybe you have a few candidates but you're not sure which will lead to enticing your contacts to open your message. This is where A/B testing comes in, you are able to send two subject lines to a section of your contact list and after a set period of time determine the most successful subject. This way the majority of your list gets the best performing subject line, and the best part is - it's completely automated once you hit the send button.
What is A/B testing in email marketing?
A/B testing is where you send two variations of the same message to a small section of your customers. This is done in order to ascertain which variation will likely be engaged by your customers.
How to set up A/B testing.
Once you have created a message and click the 'Send' button you will have the option to set up an A/B test.
At the top of the send menu, you will find a Subject section - it is in here that you can set up A/B testing.
You can choose two different subject lines to run your A/B test. For example, you could test to see if your customers respond better to personalisation in the subject line.
Alternatively, you could test different ways of saying the same thing. For example:
Subject A: February Sale now!
Subject B: Huge discounts all month!
The test metric for the AB testing is the open rate. You can choose how long you wish to run your A/B test for before you send the winning subject line to the rest of your list. It is recommended that you run the test for a minimum of 4 hours. You can, however, run the test for as short as 1 hour.
You can adjust your Test Size. The default size for the A/B test is 20% of your list. The remaining 80% will receive the winning subject line.
Once you have sent your message you can choose to go directly to the report where you can monitor the progress of your A/B testing.
If at any point you wish to select the winner and send the rest of your messages, you can by selecting the 'Manual Selection' button and choosing the winning subject line.