If you are creating your first email, working out how to do it might seem a little daunting. However, it is extremely easy to get a great looking email together on your first go.
In this article:
- Choose your template
- Customise your template
- Create & edit the footer of your email
- Final touches
- What now?
- The first thing to do is log into your account.
- Now that you are logged in, click 'Messages' from your navigation bar.
- On the messages screen, click 'New Message' on the right of the screen.
- You'll be taken to a template selection screen. You can choose the folder from the top left, and then hover over the template you would like to work with and click the 'Select' button.
A quick note before you start your email design - Check out our default fonts feature. This feature allows you to quickly and easily edit the text of your email.
- The first thing I did was inserted my logo. Hover over the placeholder logo, and click the 'Swap Image' icon that shows up.
- If you haven't already uploaded your logo, click 'Upload Files' from the bottom left corner of the file selection screen.
If your logo is already uploaded, hover over it and click the 'Use' button.
- Now that the logo has been inserted, the next thing that I did was to edit my main text in the template. To do this, I double clicked on the text component, highlighted the text and re-typed what I wanted. You can also copy and paste text if you like.
- If you would like to create a read more link, or perhaps a "Create Now" link, highlight the text and click the 'Insert Link' icon from the floating blue tool bar.
- Now, insert the link details into the window that appears, and then click the 'Insert' button.
- Now that your text and links in your paragraph are correct, you can format your text to suit. Just highlight the text you wish to make changes to, and select the formatting items from the floating blue tool bar. You can also do this by using the default fonts feature.
- You can also change the background colour of the text if you like. To do this, click once on the component and then open the 'Content' section on the right side of the screen. Click on the 'Background' setting and select a new colour.
- The next thing I had to do was insert another image. To do this, I clicked on the 'Image' component from the 'Content' tab on the right side of the screen, and dragged and released it in the position I wanted.
- I then hovered over the new image placeholder, and clicked 'Swap Image' again. I then chose the new image I wanted from my file manager.
- The next thing I did was to remove all the unwanted components in this template - the ones I knew I wasn't going to use. To do this I just hovered over the component and clicked the 'Delete' button.
- Once I deleted those components, I then wanted to customise the remaining components. Click once on the component to open the 'Image' section on the right side of the screen, and click the green mountain icon to swap the image to your own.
I also changed the padding on the image to change the look.
- I then double clicked in the text section of that component, then re-typed & formatted the text to suit.
- The next thing that I wanted to change was the purple "read more" button. To do this, click once on the button and then click the 'Insert Image' icon from the tool bar.
- Then click the 'Change file' link at the bottom of the window that appears.
- The next thing to do is go to the 'Buttons' folder, hover over the button you want to select, and click the 'Use' button.
- Once you've done that, you will then need to click the green 'Insert' button.
- I then wanted to put a link on this button. To do this, click once on the button image to highlight it, and then click the 'Insert Link' icon from the tool bar.
- Now enter the link details and click the green 'Insert Link' button.
- The next thing I wanted to do was to add a 'Find out more' link to this paragraph component. To do this, I clicked once on the component, then clicked the 'On' option for the 'Call to Action' section of the settings.
- Click the small chain icon in the 'Call to Action' section to insert the URL details for your find out more link.
- If you like, now that you have customised your first paragraph, you can hover over it and click 'Duplicate'. This is useful if you would like multiple paragraph components with the same formatting.
- It's now time to create and edit the footer of your email. Under the 'Content' tab, click and drag the 'Footer' component onto your email. Release the component. It will automatically move to the very bottom of your email.
- Now you can customise the design of your footer. Click on the footer and 'Swap Image' to your own logo. Double click in the text area and insert your own text or perhaps social icons like I did.
You can customise the padding, background colour and other settings for the footer similar to other components.
Congratulations on creating your first email! Now that you have created and saved your first email, there are a few things you can do:
- Run a spam check
- Send yourself a quick test
- Run a comprehensive email test
- Run through your email sign-off checklist
- Upload your full contact list
- Read through the 5 easy things you can do to improve your deliverability
- Send the email to your contact list
- Book into some free online training sessions to further your knowledge of the email marketing system