Would you like to create a preference centre where your contacts can update their subscription details to let you know what content or newsletters they wish to receive from you? Perhaps you want to give them the option to choose how often they receive communication from you, or maybe you would like to receive feedback on why they no longer want to hear from you? Either way, you may benefit from setting up a preference centre.
Alternatively you might like to give your recipients the chance to update what segments of your list they have subscribed to by following this process: 'Set up a newsletter Subscription Form'.
If setting up a preference centre is something that you wish to set up for your List, please follow the steps in this article. Here is a list of what we will be covering (click to skip ahead):
- How do I set up a preference centre
- Create link in preference centre so your contacts can 'unsubscribe from all'
- Linking your preference centre to the unsubscribe link in your emails
- Unsubscribe contacts who use your preference centre
A 'preference centre' is set up by using our 'update profile forms'. I've included a picture of a very basic preference centre set up below to allow your contacts to update how often they wish to hear from you.
To set this up:
- Go to 'Lists and Forms'.
- Select the list you send your emails to.
- Choose 'Edit Forms' from the Actions menu.
- Go to the 'Update Profile' form tab and select the 'Update Profile' form (not the login).
- Click the 'Add new fields' button from the right.
- Choose a 'Dropdown' field and click 'Add'.
- Name it something similar to the example above. Here are some of the value's I included in mine:
- Create value's for your drop down field, see above example.
- You can also edit the header text to say something like 'Update your Preferences' instead of the default 'Update your profile'.
- Save changes.
- While still in the form editor, double click on the section at the top of your preference centre where the text is.
- In this text area, type something like "Don't want to hear from us anymore? Click here to unsubscribe from all communications".
- Highlight that text.
- Click the 'Insert Link' icon from the tool bar.
- Click 'Web Forms' option from the left of the link window.
- From the first drop down, choose 'Unsubscribe Form'.
- From the second drop down, choose your master database.
- From the third drop down, choose the unsubscribe form style you want to use.
- Type in the name of this link (e.g. Unsubscribe from all communications).
- Click the 'Insert Link' button.
- Format the text as required.
- Click the 'Save' button in the top right corner of the form editor.
Once the preference centre has been set up, you can then replace it as the default 'unsubscribe' form for your emails. To do this:
- Go to 'Messages'.
- Select a message.
- Choose 'View Details' from the Actions menu.
- Go to the 'Footer Links' tab.
- Remove the tick from the 'unsubscribe' check box, and save the changes.
- Now, select and edit your message.
- Go to the bottom of your message, and add some text, such as 'Update your subscription preferences or unsubscribe'.
- Highlight this text and click the 'Insert Link' icon.
- Choose to link to a 'Web form' (from the left options).
- Choose the update profile option and the correct list, and then choose your newly created preference centre.
- Click 'Insert' and save the changes to your message. See image below:
To unsubscribe those who 'Never' want to hear from you, you can do a quick search and unsubscribe prior to sending.
- Go to 'Contacts'.
- Using the drop down menu's at the top of the screen, choose the correct list.
- Click the 'advanced search' icon from the top right corner of the contact table (looks like a magnifying glass).
- Search for all contacts who have 'Never' selected for your preference centre field.
- Select all contacts from first page of the search results.
- Once the first page is selected, a yellow text box should pop up which allows you to 'Select all' contacts from the search results. Click the 'Select All' option.
- Click 'Unsubscribe' from the Actions menu.
- your preference center has been set up to determine the interests or particular subscriptions of your recipients please ensure you don't forget when you are sending the message to 'Send to the Particular Segment of the List'.
If you found this article useful, please hit the thumbs up icon below. If you have further questions, please submit a request to our support team so we can help you out.