Be Spam Compliant with your SMS messages.
It is recommended to always provide instructions on how your recipients can unsubscribe from your SMS messages.
Unsubscribe Options for SMS
Some examples of what you can do to provide an unsubscribe option is:
- Provide an SMS opt out link
> To add this to your message select 'otp-out link' from the unsubscribe drop down menu.
> This is a shortened link that your contacts can click on which will immediately unsubscribe them.
> The link will link to the unsubscribe form of whatever list the message is sent to.
> When using this option, contacts will be sent directly to the ‘thank you’ page or the custom thank you page.
- Provide a message instructing the recipient to reply ‘Stop’ or a similar word to unsubscribe
> To add this to you message select 'Reply STOP' from the unsubscribe drop down menu.
> This will unsubscribe the contact from the list the message was sent to.
> There is also the option to set up alternative words to stop - instructions below.
- Provide a message instructing the recipient to call or email a specific number or email address to unsubscribe> To be handled externally from Vision6.
Setting Up STOP Alternative Unsubscribe Words
If you wish to instruct your recipients to unsubscribe by replying with a specific word, you can customise what words will work for unsubscribe by following these instructions:
- Click 'Lists and forms' in the left side menu
- Select the list of contacts you are sending the SMS message to
- Click the ‘Edit’ button on the right side of where the list is shown
- Click the ‘details’ button to the left of the green save button
- Click the SMS Settings tab
- On the right you can add and remove words to use for unsubscribing
Best Practice Guidelines
- Opt-in process - collect mobile phone numbers in your forms, including a field asking if they wish to receive messages via SMS
- For existing customers, send an email asking people to update their profile if they wish to receive SMS messages
- Include an opt -out option in every SMS message, for example 'Reply STOP to opt out'
- Include a Recognised Identifier in your messages so recipients know who you are, e.g. "Hi John, This is a reminder from [Company Name]..."